Breaking News

1 News Europe correspondent recovering after being tear gassed in Paris World Cup riots

Joy Reid
A 1 News reportehas spoken of being tear-gassed while covering the post World Cup riots in Paris, France.

French police used tear gas on crowds as they tried to move them from the Champs Elysees late on Sunday local time, after France beat Croatia 4-2 in the World Cup final.

Reuters news agency reported millions of fans of France football team had spilled on to the streets in joy, but some had clashed with police, damaging some businesses and properties along the famous Paris avenue.

Europe correspondent Joy Reid had earlier been reporting on the rioting from the top of a Paris building, showing footage of water canons being used to move the crowd on.

"We realised police had only just cleared the area and only minutes before had sprayed the roads with tear gas," Reid said.

"We ran the last 100 metres to our hotel with our eyes stinging and throats burning. We could barely see as our eyes were watering so much and it was difficult to keep them open."

"We were returning to our hotel which was only 400 metres from where we had been broadcasting into Breakfast from a point above the Champs-Elysees. Once inside the hotel, the concierge rushed to get us milk to dab our eyes with. It took maybe five minutes before the stinging eased."

She said they could still hear the occasional siren, fire cracker and car horns outside, but the streets were now much calmer.

Earlier, she tweeted out pictures of her red eyes and tears streaming down her face after the attack.

"Encountered unexpected tear gas on way back to hotel! That stuff burns!!!! No wonder it clears crowds. We are ok."

1 NEWS' Editor of Newsgathering Phil O'Sullivan said staff were required to make a 'Risk Assessment', which identifies all risks before going out on a job.

During Reid's assignment, a safety assessment from SOS International was included for her time in Paris.

O'Sullivan said 1NEWS staff were trained for a range of hostile environments.

"Our Foreign Editor was in touch with the team throughout their time in Paris to ensure their safety was paramount at all times," he said.

"In this instance their training stood them in good stead."

It's the second incident involving a New Zealand reporter who was covering the Football World Cup.

Last week, Newshub's Lloyd Burr had beer thrown across him during a live cross to The AM Show while covering England's clash with Croatia.

No comments